Sunday, March 9, 2008

He Had A Seizure This Morning

My alarm went off this morning to get ready for church. I realized it was daylight savings and wondered if my the time was correct, or if I was an hour late. I went upstairs to check the time. My MIL was almost panicking. She ran out of her bedroom, and was close to tears. "He just started shaking and having a seizure and I didn't know what to do. I tried to wake Sarah up because she is a nurse, but she is still out from last night. I can't get him to wake up or talk to me or anything. I don't know what to do." After getting her calmed down a bit, we went back into her bedroom and started trying to bring him back. He would open his eyes for a few seconds, but wouldn't sit up or respond to us. I knew from all the research I had done that after a seizure they can be disoriented for as much as thirty minutes or so. I wasn't too concerned, but we both kept a close eye on him. About every ten minutes we would go in, try to wake him, and question him. After thirty minutes he sat up in bed for a few seconds and started responding to our questions. The answers were wrong (What's your favorite color? Baby's breath. How old are you? Almost 20. Who is the president? Lots of them.), but he was responding. I felt a little uncomfortable that it was taking SO LONG for him to come out, but we just kept it up. After almost an hour, he was coherent enough to look directly at us, sit up and move around himself, and answer our questions a little better (What's your mom's name? Um, well, um, Sarah. Where are you? Well, last night it was xCityNamex. What month is it? Oh, the month, I don't know. I have to think about it.)It was taking him a while to answer, and sometimes he couldn't get it. But his words were clearer, his eyes were clearer and more focused, and we could tell he was getting back to normal. Once I was sure he was okay and Susan was feeling better, I went back downstairs.

I wrapped my arms around my husband, and held him tight. Healthy or sick, I am so glad to have him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh.. I'm so sorry that he has to go through those. I am glad that he has a doctor's appointment.