Friday, November 7, 2008

On Love- in all of its sugary sweetness

These are a few quotes on love that I found on this page of Wiki. And I've put my thoughts on a few of them. They got me thinking.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return"
Selo has taught me to accept love. For a long time, I didn't think I deserved it, and lashed out. For the last few years, he has taken his sweet and gentle time to let me learn that I am worth it, and he does love me. In return, I have learned to open the most sensitive part of my heart to him, and love him just as deeply.


"Love is the best thing that can keep you together"
  • Anonymous
A relationship takes committment. When both parties are committed, a relationship can last through anything. And I do mean anything.


"When I saw you, I was afraid of meeting you.When I met you, I was afraid of kissing you. When I kissed you, I was afraid to love you. Now that I love you, I'm afraid of losing you"
  • Anonymous The Voice Of Love by Silard Somorjay(soundtrack)Movie;The Streets of Beijing.

"True love is your soul's recognition of its counterpoint in another."


Disagree

"Where there is love, distance doesn't matter."
Distance does matter. The hardest times of our marriage are when we are apart. We prefer to live together, sleep together, and travel together, because we want to BE together. No matter where we are or what we are doing, being together is important to us.



"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."
One can love themself, but love cannot blossom without another person. Love needs to develope between two separate beings, in order for both to progress and experience the deepest sense of acceptance and joy.


My own thoughts

Love gives hope. Teaches endurance, patience, giving, acceptance. Love is not strong because it is love, love is to be made strong by those that are committed to making it that way. Love is to be cherished and encouraged. Love is not equal purely by being love, equality is to be gained by respect earned and given. Respect cannot be forced or taken, but is one's own to keep and to hold. Losing one's self respect should in no way affect your respect for others.

Selo and I were talking the other day, and, once again, I realized how blessed I am to have him, and to be his wife. I started thinking about love. About our pasts, separate and together, about how much we have both grown, about what love really means and is, about how it has changed us, about people and commitment and family, about so much.

I love that we can wake up next to each other every day. I love waking up next to the man that is my husband, and knowing that I am his wife. I love the feeling of my husband reaching over in his sleep to wrap his arm around me. I love the feeling in the morning when he first wakes up and pulls me to him so he can hold me for just a few moments before we crawl out of bed. I love the way he smiles at me, and says good morning to me with those sleepy eyes. I love the way he tells me that my eyes are sparkly. I love the way he makes my eyes sparkle. I love being married to him.

Love is a verb and a noun. That means that you choose who you love, and you choose to cherish or destroy the love that you have. I love knowing that loving each other is our choice, and not an obligation or a burden or a neccessity. I love knowing that we are together because we love each other, and not because we have to stay together for the kids or have to help each other pay the rent. Because we want to be together. We want to be committed. We want to be faithful.

I love knowing we are happy. I love knowing that we are improving our lives. Working together to make things better for ourselves, and our future children. Building not just a place to live or to reside, but an actual home with love and laughter. I love laughing with him. I love hearing him sing his silly songs, and spin me around when we dance, and being silly and crazy together. I love hearing his different silly voices, listening to him play his guitar, enjoying the sounds of him moving around in the house. I love the pictures on our walls. I love the way he looks at me when I tell him I'll cook his favorite meal, and the way he says thank you so many times while he eats it. I love how he does the dishes and cleans the bathroom. I love that he is willing to put just as much work into cleaning our home as I am. I love watching him separate our laundry, and put his clothes away. I love seeing him hang his shirts in the closets, and talk about the hangers. I love seeing him make our bed, and mess it all up to tell me he needs me to "help him fix it".

I love going on dates with him. I love the way he takes me by the hand and says he's taking me out tonight. I love hearing him talk about the places he wants to go, and what he wants to show me at each one. I love the way he pays the bill, or buys the tickets, or leaves the tip, so that he can be chivalrous. I love how strong and manly he is. I love that he can open the jars I can't. I love that he wants to be my hero, and carry me across the thresh hold. I love coming home together, and curling up to relax after work or on the weekend. I love the passion we have. The look in his eyes when I know he's thinking about me. The intimacy of being able to read each other's thoughts, know what the other is thinking, finish each other's sentences, and predict what the other will want. I love the way we feel so connected to each other, so close. I hate the way I miss him so dreadfully while he is gone on business trips, or how I miss him so innocently while he is at work, but I love the hugs and wanting when we reunite again.

I am grateful for the commitment we have in each other. I was told a few weeks ago while talking to a married man that he did not want to hurt my marriage. I was shocked and simply stated to him that I love my husband, I am fiercely loyal, that I hide nothing from him, and I do nothing that would need to be hidden. I love knowing that we both have complete trust in each other. And not because we've "never been caught", but because we don't put ourselves in a position for something risky to happen. We have proven time and time again that we are committed to our marriage, and we will do whatever it takes to not just keep it but to keep it strong.

I love knowing we are equals in our marriage. We value the other's opinion, perspective, and point of view. I love knowing he appreciates me, and I love being able to show him that I appreciate him. I am grateful for the work that he does to support our family and our home. I am grateful for the time he puts into laundry and dishes and cleaning, so that I'm not left with everything. I'm grateful for his help to pay our bills, even though I know how much he hates the tedious monotony of punching in card numbers and writing down confirmation numbers.

We don't have the perfect marriage. We have problems and disagreements and fights. We don't always get along. But we are committed to work through every problem, love each other before after and during, and to make it work.

1 comment:

Crys said...

"Love is not strong because it is love, love is to be made strong by those that are committed to making it that way."

How I totally agree with this. When the boyfriend and I started dating again we realized that everything we knew about love was nothing compared to what we were learning now. Thank you for sharing your views. It's nice to see how other people view things that others take for granted.