Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Shape of Mercy by Susan Meissner

I just finished reading this book, and wow. The story is about a privileged college woman that takes a job transcribing the hand written journal of a young woman who lived and died during the Salem witch trials. The story is about growing into one's own self, recognizing and acting out of love, and learning not to judge others. I enjoyed reading about the journey of Mercy, Lauren, and Abigail. I enjoyed how the characters developed, and the lessons they learned could be used in my own life.

My favorite quote is on the last page of the story: "I used to think mercy meant showing kindness to someone who didn't deserve it, as if only the recipient defined the act. The girl in between has learned that mercy is defined by it's giver. Our flaws are obvious, yet we are loved and able to love, if we choose, because there is that bit of the divine still smoldering in us."


1 comment:

Lera said...

I also love that quote. I might have to check this book out myself.