Sunday, June 24, 2007

The Power of Music

We had an excellent lesson in our church meetings today. My Aunt Lisa was the instructor for the Relief Society, and I went in to the lesson just to hear her. She used a talk by Elder Jay E Jensen, The Nourishing Power of Hymns. He speaks about the power that music has to influence us, especially in religious matters:

"Two missionaries teaching an older couple in their home in Peru were interrupted by the arrival of the couple's son, his wife, and three children. The elders explained who they were and what they were doing. The son was suspicious of the missionaries, resulting in an awkward moment. The junior companion prayed silently, "Heavenly Fater, what do we do?" The impression came to sing. They sang "I Am A Child of God." The spirit touched the hearts of this family of five. Instead of two converts, all seven became members, influenced initially by a hymn."

This is an amazing story for the newest members. But I also think of the way the power of music influenced the missionaries. Can you imagine the relief and comfort it brought?

I enjoy the music that is played in Sacrament meeting. I enjoy the prelude music, which gives me an opportunity to relax and prepare for the meetings. I enjoy the hymns during sacrament, which allow the congregation to unite in singing prior to every prayer. I love the way the music stays with me throughout the day, and keeps the Spirit of the Sabbath with me.

I remember one Sacrament meeting, just after our pianist had been released. (We are such a small ward we don't have another one yet. I am studying right now. My goal is to play in Sacrament by Christmas.) We had prelude music from cds, and were about to sing the opening hymn. The cd player quit working just as the music began, but we kept singing. "The Spirit of God" has never been more beautiful.

Aunt Lisa also included a fun little game with the lesson. Unscramble the song titles. For example: "Many are grateful, Elohim, for one to guide us" is "We Thank Thee, O God, For a Prophet". Here are the rest of them- I got five of these correct. You can post your answers here or email them to me.

1- Low under the valley bottom

2- Rescuer of those in bondage to the Egyptians

3- Approach, Approach though virtuous people

4- Exist motionless my essence

5- the first person departs somplace thou desires the first person to depart to

6- Solid like the foothils in the region of the many

No comments: