Friday, July 27, 2007

Let the healing begin

I took the kittens to the doctor today. We went to The Animal Hospital of Wilkes, because I have always had good service from them, and I was in need of someone I trust. I was going to wait until Monday, but they were having so much trouble breathing I lost sleep over it. The vet was really nice. Instead of charging me for each animal I brought in, she charged me for one visit since I brought them all together. She checked them out, and gave me lots of info. Just as Veloxe said earlier (see: comments for The Joys of Motherhood), they have an infection. She said it was both viral and bacterial. The infection is mostly in their eyes, noses, and the backs of their throats. But NOT in their lungs, which I was concerned about and very happy to hear. It is contagious and travels through the mom as well. So I actually have six sick kitties, not just three. Sweetie's immune system is stronger and can fight it, but the babies can't. They are on an anti-biotic once a day (Sweetie included), and they have to have an ointment (Neo Poly Bac) put on their eyes twice a day (only the ones that have swollen eyes). I am supposed to clean their eyes with a warm wet cloth two - three times a day. I had to get them some 9 Lives canned food- something that is easier to eat, and smells much stronger since they can't smell well while they are sick. They must stay hydrated, which means I may be giving the ones that won't eat water from a syringe, along with the medicine. But with all the medicine and extra care, they should heal just fine.

She de-wormed them (included in the cost of the visit) and confirmed male/female for me. I was right- four girls and a boy. So now Hubby gets to pick a girl name for his "Little Guy". Kittens normally get their first set of kitten shots at 8 weeks, but she says wait two additional weeks after their 8 weeks for healing- so ten weeks. They can be fixed as early as six months- unless the females go into heat before then, and then the vet will do it right away. To fight fleas, simply give them a gentle bath with PalmOlive. It's strong enough to kill the fleas and gentle enough so it doesn't harm their skin. (I sound like a commercial.)

So there's the kitten update. Thanks to everyone that has sent me emails or left comments. I appreciate all the suggestions and support. And thanks Vel for your research- it was most helpful. Take care all!

No comments: