Friday, November 30, 2007

Taken a Hit

The more I read about Google dropping the page rank of certain bloggers, the more unhappy about it I am. See, at first, I wasn't that interested. I don't have my own domain yet (even though I have been trying to get moved over), I don't have enough readers to increase my page rank, and I don't make enough money on my blog to have been effected. So I didn't realize the impact it was going to have on my fellow bloggers. How wrong I was.

First of all, let's take my friend Bobbie's blog, OneScrappyMom. She has had her blog for 14 months now. She has put a lot of work into it- not to mention her blood, sweat, tears, days, nights, time, effort, emotion- and had earned herself a Google rank of 3. Good for her, right?
Well, Google made their changes, and she was dropped to a zero. Kind of harsh, isn't it? This is what she has to say about it.

Second, let's take the reaction of other bloggers. I'm sure you remember me talking about my good friend Elizabeth from Table4Five. Just like Bobbie, and many other bloggers out there, Elizabeth is a SAHM doing some paid blogging to help out her family. Elizabeth has spent many hours, days, and months building up her blog by having quality content that attracts many faithful readers. And not only did she take a hit when her blog was penalized, she had to take another hit. As if she wasn't miserable enough, another blogger choose this moment to kick her while she was down. This is what happened to her.
(When you read her story, please be a smart blogger. If you choose to visit the other blog, you will be increasing his page rank and giving him the pleasure of more visitors. There's no reason to reward someone for a hateful act.)

Now Google's choices have effected me. It may not have effected my blog directly, but it has most certainly affecting my blogging world. My friends have been greatly affected. This has had a major effect on the blogging network. At this point, I don't really see a way to "fight back". It's Google. What are we going to do? Everyone use a different search engine, blogging account, and email address? Not a very logical idea. I will, however, try a little bit harder to move my blog over to my own domain. I will visit my friends' blogs a little more often, and leave more comments, to let them know that I support them and their blogs. And I will try a little harder to be more interested in my blog, than what others think of my blog.

3 comments:

Table4Five said...

Thank you Marie! I wish I could give you a big squeezey hug for your kind words. You express yourself very well in your writing, and I predict that you will be a very successful blogger!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Marie. I think it's REALLY crappy how Google targeted us. It's really crappy to take it out on the little people!! UGH! Thanks for your comments, links and post!!

*Marie* said...

You are both very welcome. I am sad to see you take a hit on something like this. And even if Google doesn't appreciate it, you have many faithful readers- like myself- that are sad to see you take such a hit.