Friday, June 27, 2008

Another Trip To The ER

Early this morning, Selo woke up in pain. Fifteen minutes later, we were on the way to the ER. He was admitted immediately when we got there. They put him on a mixer of pain meds and anti-inflamitories and then started their series of tests. If you remember back in November, he was in the hospital for this same thing. He has since been seen by several doctors and had several more tests. This has been going on for seven months.

Today, an answer has been found.

As of right now, Selo has a 2.2 mm kidney stone traveling through his right side. It has just left the kidney, and has approximately 15 cm to go before it reaches the bladder. Once it reaches the bladder, the pain will significantly decrease. From the bladder it will be passed out of the body. This could take days to weeks.

We don't know what has caused this. If we are lucky enough to be able to capture the stone, it can be tested. As of now, the doctor gave two meds. One of them to open the tubes the stone has to pass through from the kidney to the bladder, and another for pain. We were also told that once a person has a kidney stone, the stones will likely come more often after the first.

He is now resting. I am glad to see him sleeping.

I am also glad to *finally* know what is wrong. He has been suffering with this on and off for months. It is a relief to both of us to know what is causing his pain. Now, it can be treated. We can change his diet, his activities, his lifestyle, whatever it takes.

The pain can be alleviated.


Bobbie said...

FINALLY! An answer! This health stuff sucks so much. I am glad you got answers and he can start getting treated now.

Melissa said...

That is so scarry but I am so happy that you now know what is causing him pain. By the way I have an award for you on my blog.

*Mini* said...

Bobbie- yes, finally. I'm glad we know what it is.

Melissa- Scary is right. It's awful to see him hurting and feel so helpless.
Thanks for the award. I'll go check it out right now.