Thursday, November 26, 2009

I am thankful for . . .

Top ten things I am thankful for this year:

1- My husband. He is an amazing man. He has been through so much in his years, and has grown so much. Even just throughout the years I have known him, I have seen him overcome so much, grow and mature, and he has taught me some amazing lessons. He is generous, he is strong, he is sensitive, he is kind, he is dedicated, he is hard working, he is spiritual, he is committed. He is the leader of our household. He is a protective husband and father. Every single day he makes an effort to be a wonderful husband, and help me with the trial in my pregnancy, even though he is working a very demanding 50+ hrs/week job. I couldn't ask for a better man. He is most definitely one of the biggest blessings in my life, and one that I am most grateful for.

2- Our families. They are so very different, and I have grown to love each member of all sides. Each person has touched my life in a different way, and I am grateful for all of them.

3- Our new baby. Babies are miracles here on earth. Their creation, their growth inside the womb, their journey into this world, and their very presence. I have felt the spirit of our little one with me since shortly after we found out I was pregnant. I love watching my husband rub my belly and talk to our little baby. I love planning for our family, and anticipating the joy our first child will bring to us.

4- My spirituality, relationship with God, and religion. This world can be a very harsh place. I am grateful to know that there is a higher power. Someone that knows all things, and has a plan. I am grateful for the gift of prayer, and being able to communicate personally with my Heavenly Father, and receive my own witness of peace.

5- Technology. Although I get tired of it sometimes, I am grateful for all the technology in the world we live in. We have refridgerators to keep our food cold, email to communicate with, cars to help us travel long distances on a daily basis. I am grateful to the people that started this all, with a simply light bulb and telegraph, and I am grateful to the people that keep it going with constant updates in technology.

6- Health. I am grateful that Selo and I are both relatively healthy. We both have our own medical setbacks, and the occasional hospital visit. But we have all of our limbs, fingers, and toes. We have access to simple medicines to help us with minor aches and illnesses. We have no major ailments or health problems.

7- Employment. Selo and I both have jobs. That, in itself, is enough to be grateful for. But our jobs are stable and long term. They are with good companies, that make a good profit. They are secure. We lived off of my salary while he was unemployed, and will be well off living on his when I become a stay at home wife and then mother. We have our needs met, and are able to enjoy some wants as well.

8- Talents and hobbies. I love to read. I love to create. I love to volunteer. Selo loves the guitar and to write music. He loves to study something and learn every aspect of it. We are both blessed with many talents, and the ability to put them to use, and to share them with others. I am a firm believer that ones talents should be used for good and shared with the world. I am grateful for the many talents we have been blessed with.

9- The blessings that come from overcoming opposition. This one is a little more complicated, but I have learned to be grateful for it. There is a saying that "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger". I hated it for a long time, and I still don't enjoy being reminded of it. But when I look at the long term results of times in my life that I have struggled and suffered, I see that it is true. Every person has a natural strength they are born with. However, only those that have to put that strength to the test, come out stronger for it. I was a teenager when my family went through some serious crisis. But having gone through that taught me that I can be whoever I choose to be, and my decisions are not the result of others decisions. I am responsible for myself, and therefore I am stronger, more willing to make the right decisions, and have no problem looking myself in the mirror knowing I did what I felt was best. My husband went through a divorce and lost two of his children. However, he is now a better husband and more committed our marriage. He understands how sacred the gift of a child is, and has already taken an active roll in our baby's life. We both look back on our experiences with some sorrow that it had to happen that way, but grateful for the lessons learned because we are better people because of them.

10-Water. I know this sounds silly, especially when all the rest were so serious. But I love water! Not in the swimming and splashing way, but in the I can drink it anytime, anywhere, and it always tastes good way. I grew up drinking water (my mom was a big fan, too), and I have always chosen water over anything else. The crisp, cool, refreshingness of it has been more appreciated in my pregnancy than even before. If there is one thing that I can always reach for, and know I won't be disappointed, it is water.

(Thanks to Lera, for the inspiration for this post.)

1 comment:

Lera said...

Glad you decided to write your own top ten. You're right, many of ours are similar. It was a nice read!

BTW - I also LOVE water!