Saturday, November 24, 2007

Remembering my Father-In-Law

Sid has been gone for almost a month. We miss him a lot. So much has happened in the last month that we wish he had been here for. Selo has said so many times how much he wishes his dad could have helped him through this or that and how he wishes he could have seen him one last time.
We were very blessed to have Sid in our lives. I consider myself so lucky that he was my father-in-law. I couldn't have asked for a better man in his place. I have told him several times how grateful I am for him. And for the sons he raised (one of them being my husband).
Last year for Christmas, Sid gave some of us hoodies. Special hoodies. Sid purchased these hoodies with his own money, even though he was living (barely living) on his disability check month to month. He purchased us all black BACA hoodies. One for each of his kids- Selo and Sarah, one for me, and one for each of his grandkids- Katie and Natalie (Hubby's daughters), Cody, and Teasia, Tyree, and Kiri. They were directly from him and no one else. He said he wanted each one of us to be known as a "BACA kid", so that we would be safe and no one would mess with us. When Sid passed away, that was the first thing that Selo reached for. Teasia wore hers for days and days- and might still be wearing it. It is an honor to have been included in that special circle of his family.

To Sid
Thank you for what you taught me. Thank you for your lessons on acceptance and kindness. For your generosity and your love. Thank you for accepting me, without question or judgments.
I look forward to seeing you again. I look forward to the day I can stand before you, and know that I have made you proud. I look forward to the day I can see your smile.
Thank you Sid. We love you always.

The guest book will be open for a few more days. If you would like to sign it, but haven't had the chance, you may view it here >>> Sidney Ralph West

No comments: